LCD Screen for VoCore

samern

LCD Screen for VoCore

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Would be nice to have the details posted about what LCD works with VoCore and how to connect it. That would eliminate the guesswork and allow us to build on top of existing work making the VoCore even more useful.

Pyrofer

Re: LCD Screen for VoCore

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:37 am

Any SPI LCD can be attached if you are willing to get the drivers working.

I wrote my own code to drive an SSD2119 and an ILI9341 as well as a Nokia6100 LCD.

FBTFT drivers in theory work and give you a real framebuffer but I haven't got them working yet. Instead I compiled the virtual frame buffer which works and then wrote an app to copy the contents of that to my LCD. That worked fine.

mikemoy

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm

I just found out about the VoCore today. The first thing I looked up is if fbtft was working.
I need to be able to connect a LCD to it. When it was mentioned
FBTFT drivers in theory work and give you a real framebuffer but I haven't got them working yet. Instead I compiled the virtual frame buffer which works and then wrote an app to copy the contents of that to my LCD. That worked fine.

Can you post this code how you did this ?

Endat

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm

I have been looking into this as well. I have just been using different LED lights as indicators when it has done what I wanted.

These are 2 sources I have been looking at.. They're cheap and generic it seems

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/4004 ... dules.html
http://www.buydisplay.com/

I think ePaper or OLED would be good since the VoCore is sort of power hungry.

Greenwire-Elektronik

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Depending on what you are searching you might just want to use something like this: click
it all comes with the background current. Additional, b/w is less power hungry then color (compared wih saem LCD technique)
Buy now - breakout board for VoCore to easy adapting your idea!

Follow us on Twitter or facebook!

Pyrofer

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Almost any SPI LCD will work if you hook it up and write the code.

I have been using ili9341 screens as they are well documented and common/cheap on eBay.
If people are interested I can post some details on using the screen with a virtual Framebuffer to get any fb code running.

Bugs

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi,

Pyrofer:
If people are interested I can post some details on using the screen with a virtual Framebuffer to get any fb code running.

I like the idea: connect a Display and touch to this tiny nice module! So yes, I am interested in more details ;-)

I think the best way is serial Flash at CS0 the Display at CS1 and the touch Controller at a bitbang controlled GPIO.
Could this work?
For testing/developing i have a display with ILI9325 Display controller and a ADS7843 touch controller.

Bugs

Pyrofer

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:21 am

Of course this will work, it's exactly what I have done.

I have a youtube video (posted elsewhere in this forum) of my touch screen sketch app.

You draw directly onto the LCD with a stylus. It was written with direct LCD access rather than putting the VFB in the middle and works well.

Mine is the ili9341 controller I think, if yours is compatible then my code should just run and fire up the LCD.

Get the Virtual Framebuffer compiled in and working then try this file, this is the vfb to ili lcd. Use GPIO20 as the register select, I just tied RESET high to save pins.
https://mega.co.nz/#!RUQRkIKQ!QeissaLqH ... mcWZtyhegQ

Hook up the SPI as expected with cs1 as the select on the LCD.

(btw, use /tmp for all work when running this as it thrashes the SPI port and access to flash is slow as hell)

Bugs

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 pm

About the Speed of the flash:
What do you think about a "dirty page detection"? Transmit only the changed pixel periodic 10 to 15 or more Times a second to the Display. IoT user interfaces dont change the complete screen so often?!
Sorry about my bad english, I hope you understand what i mean :(

Bugs

Pyrofer

Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 am

370 odd views and not one person hooked up the LCD yet?

Can SOMEBODY report success? I can't be the only one with a nice colour LCD working by now.

Next
Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock