External antenna connector / U.fl

electronic_eel

External antenna connector / U.fl

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 am

Hi,

I'm planning a project where I need a openwrt system in a metal enclosure. A regular chip antenna won't work inside because the metal enclosure will shield too much.

I've seen the picture of the vocore 2 in your blog. It seems like you have a U.fl type antenna connector on it. Please put that U.fl connector on the final vocore 2 too.

I guess putting a u.fl connector and a chip antenna together on one radio output won't work. So either offer two versions where you can buy the one you need, or at least put the pads on the board so that you can solder the u.fl yourself and switch the rf path to the u.fl with a capacitor.

Thanks.

noblepepper

Re: External antenna connector / U.fl

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:25 pm

You may want to take a look at Vonger's Blog. He calls it an IPX socket but it looks like a U fl to me

electronic_eel

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks for the link.

This looks like a hack to me, he even writes that the connector is not that stable and should be glued down.

I was hoping for a solution with a proper pad, specifically designed for the antenna connector on the pcb. I don't care if it is IPX, U.FL, MMCX or something else, usually you can find an adapter for it. But U.Fl is by far the most common one.

KinnieDhar

Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:17 am

As per my experience there shouldn't be any problem using the both antenna's together. But your shield can effect much in your communication. I can give the more explanation if you can share the specifications of both the antenna and the deices connected with them.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock