limited memory on the 16MB Vocore

danie

limited memory on the 16MB Vocore

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I have now run into problems with my Vocore after loading I2C-Tools as well as the Python interpreter. I can still write relative small programs but is definitely limited in memory.

Is it possible to fit a larger Flash RAM ? I see somewhere that there is actually a much larger flash IC available with the same foot print. Would it work if one just switch the IC ? Or is there a boot loader of some kind in the current 16MB flash ?

noblepepper

Re: limited memory on the 16MB Vocore

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Just about any modern computer requires a bootloader even if it is in rom. You can see how the flash layout is set up on your vocore with dmesg|grep mtd . More important than the bootloader is the factory partition that has radio calibration data unique to each board. The bootloader can be easily replaced.

Python is a ram hog, even with 64 meg of ram (totally different than flash) you can run out of memory.

On embedded systems flash serves the same purpose as disk space on a desk or lap top, won't help with running out of ram unless you set up a swap area and since flash has limited write cycles you probably shouldn't do that.

If you can find 64 meg sdram you could replace the ram chip.

I have considered setting up swap on a USB flash drive but it will definitely be slow.

Vonger

Re: limited memory on the 16MB Vocore

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:21 am

max flash is 16MB :) it is spi address limit(3bytes, max 16MB), if you change it to bigger one(such nano flash, 512MB), system will not able to boot it, they are 4bytes address. if you want install more, better to attach an usb disk

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock