Vocore (game) watch idea

CodeAsm

Vocore (game) watch idea

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi my name is Nico (aka codeasm)
And i have an idea to make one of the vocores ill recieve soon to turn into a smart watch.

I might want to include some small games and/or browser(simple one) and some battery for use without external powersupply.

Any ideas trick tips? I have some small tft screens left from another project that are cheap from china but have no touchscreen. Anyone know how to get 1 or 2 inch tft of lcd with touch cheaply?

I might design 3d printer parts aswell, our local hackerspace has a few awesome tools to make stuff like this. (maybe a hackwatch?)

Hope to see more ideas and projects here and share info. See you soon,
Codeasm

Pyrofer

Re: Vocore (game) watch idea

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:26 am

How are you intending to interface the screens? Are they SPI?
Are you planning on using hardware SPI? If so, I think there is only 1 chip select so the touch driver would have to be manually interfaced.

Do you plan to write a framebuffer or similar for the screen? Which screens/drivers are you looking at?

CodeAsm

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am

Hardware spi wasnt on external pins or is it? I might investigate that (but is it faster?) a framebuffer might be a good idea and coding exersice, ive seen some examples already so i dont have to do all research. Drawing something is plan one but speed and touch might be better (tracking indicate that my first vocore should be at the airport).

I can solder some wires to the ic, but if its easier to use the small pins i miggt go for that. I also read that when wifi is in use, you are supossed to keep it 15~20 cm from your body, can we shield the body from wifi harm?(my gues is the radio transciever might cause harm so close to the body?)

Pyrofer

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:09 am

Hardware SPI was NOT broken out on the alpha, but it is meant to be on the final version.
I had to hack some stupid delays out of the SPI code to get it to run at a decent speed. If you watch my Doom video you can see the frame rate I managed.

The main problem I found is that running the hardware SPI full speed slows the read/write for flash down so everything becomes painfully slow on the system unless you are running from ram.
My framebuffer had no detection of page writes etc so pegged the CPU at 100% even with a blank screen. This needs fixing.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock