Running usb storage

SvOlli

Running usb storage

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi there,

I got my VoCore with the Dock2.0 yesterday. Now I want to get the audio as well as a usb-stick working together.
For this I downloaded the "VoCore v1.0 Dock2.0 Firmware" from the download section of the wiki. I also managed to force install the modules needed for usb-storage, etc. from the openwrt feeds, which don't match the checksum (of course). A "hexdump -C /dev/sda | head" works fine, but I can't get the filesystem driver for ext4 (or vfat) up and running. When running "modprobe ext4", i get the following error from "dmesg"

ext4: Unknown symbol __blockdev_direct_IO (err 0)

My guess is that the kernel and the modules differ too much in configuration to work together. Are the matching modules available somewhere else for download? Or what is the best thing to do with a low risk of bricking that thing? Without audio I can get along, without usb-storage I can't.

Thanks in advance,
SvOlli

Vonger

Re: Running usb storage

Sun May 01, 2016 6:51 am

Please check my blog vonger.cn, there is some article might help.
I did not try openwrt, it works with MTKSDK, maybe you have to find some drivers.

SvOlli

Mon May 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks,

but in the meantime I managed to build a working image using the OpenWRT ImageBuilder for Chaos Calmer (15.05.1). After taking VOCORE.dts from your blog post, I've got 16M of flash and the LEDs working. Together with usb-storage of course, which are now included in my base image.

I also succeeded in compiling the vocore-gdma driver using the OpenWRT SDK. Checking with dmesg, it clains to work, but there is no output from the 3.5mm jack (using headphones). Anyway, without proper "soundcard"-support that will work with standard applications this is more for toying around.

BTW: Using the SDK, I also managed to get the links2 web browser build into an OpenWRT package. Code and Instructions are available at GitHub. Any why do I need a web browser on a router? Because I'm using the VoCore as a (very portable) server for Commodore C64. :-)

Vonger, if you've got any use for it, like adding to the wiki, I could write up a little how-to on creating a working image (without sound) using the ImageBuilder. It really boils down to three simple steps:
  1. download ImageBuilder and unpack
  2. replace VOCORE.dts
  3. run "make" with an extended set of parameters
This will not include your changes (using 192.168.61.1 as default ip and setting the root password), though.

Vonger

Sun May 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Actually it is able to play sound, but one bug in ralink-gdma.c, I find it can not trigger interrupt when I2S DMA is ready. :) Later once I am free I will try to fix it, then we can use it as airport server.
PS: if it is possible, please make a patch and commit to openwrt will help everyone :)

noblepepper

Wed May 11, 2016 11:01 pm

I started a wiki for the VoCore that anyone can add too if you want to give it a try. I think there is some pretty helpful info for getting started give it a look.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock