Powering up VoCore

Rabbitlancer

Powering up VoCore

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:59 am

Hello. I'm having trouble powering up VoCore: I use 3 AA batteries for that purpose (gives me 4.5V), but the power appears to be too high and VoCore gives some smoke shortly afterwards. Of course, I disconnect as soon as I see the smoke, but I have a couple questions however.

How should I power up VoCore and why the setup with 3 AA batteries is so dangerous? I've seen people connect the board to 4 AA batteries, and everything ran just fine. What might be my problem?

Vonger

Re: Powering up VoCore

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:48 pm

I think you might connect to wrong pin. It should connect to release version 3.5V~6.0V pin(make sure you are using correct pin map from vocore.io but not my blog, somebody use alpha pin map might destroy the final version of vocore)

Endat

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 pm

The graphic below is how I use batteries.. my 6v power supply is an enclosure that holds 4x AAA batteries.

Unfortunately, I wired mine wrong and now I have to use a 3.7v battery. I wouldn't be surprised if you also lost use of your 3.5-6v pins as well.

Here is the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=318

Rabbitlancer

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Well, that's the point, those were the exact pins I've been connecting to. Besides, since my last post, I borrowed a second board from a friend - we bought two of them together - and connected it to the USB power. The result was exactly the same.

Judging by the information I've gathered around, the problem's in the voltage regulator, and I am bypassing it when connecting to 3.3V power, right? Because the LED does light when I connect to those pins (which NEVER happened during my USB or 3xAA powerups), but I did not kept it running for long as I've been applying some extra voltage to these pins and I wanted to avoid further destruction of the board, as I don't have a battery case to hold 2xAA batteries yet to provide a stable 3V power.

In other words. If I have the 3-6V pins burnt out, I still can use the 3.3V pin, is that right?

Vonger

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:25 am

If only DCDC damaged, you can use 3.3V power pin as a replace.
But if the main chip damaged, no way to work :)

Endat

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 am

Yeah, my 3.5-6.0 volt pins are burned out because of the voltage regulator. But I still power it with the 3.3v pin.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock