Endless rebooting cycle

kevin

Endless rebooting cycle

Thu May 07, 2015 9:19 pm

I've been sitting on my VoCore for a while without doing anything with it, and have finally gotten around to taking a look, so this is my "getting started" experiment at present. I have a VoCore and dock, so am powering from a USB power supply via the uUSB port on the dock.

Unfortunately, the VoCore appears to be stuck in an endless reboot loop. It never seems to get far enough to pop up the VoCore wireless network, so I connected up to the serial port and can see it getting past uboot (I can enter the uboot console fine) and starting the firmware. This boots and gets past the point of asking to press f or 1,2,3,4 to select a debug mode, but the last thing it seems to do is:

Code: Select all
[   30.340000] br-lan: port 1(eth0.1) entered forwarding state

then it reboots.

If I enter failsafe mode by pressing f at the appropriate time, I get a console and can poke around a little, but dmesg didn't give me any obvious clues and I don't spot anything particularly on the screen (I am generally familiar with Linux but have not used OpenWRT before until now), but without having a successful boot to compare it with, obviously I can't really tell. It seems quite happy to let me use the console in failsafe mode without any problems.

Code: Select all
root@(none):~# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.14.18 (vonger@Vongers-MacBook-Pro.local) (gcc version 4.8.3 (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04 r42586) ) #15 Wed Sep 24 11:18:53 CST 2014

Grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,
Kevin

Vonger

Re: Endless rebooting cycle

Fri May 08, 2015 3:07 am

Looks like your power is not stable.
Once wifi power on, it will require a lot of power or reboot itself.

kevin

Fri May 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Ah, ok ... Will take a look.

Thanks,
Kevin

kevin

Mon May 11, 2015 8:50 pm

A better power supply seems to have sorted it out thanks.

My next issue however was managing to trash the wifi config using Luci ... I guess I'm learning the hard way :)

Having hooked it back up to the serial port, I eventually stumbled across /bin/config_generate (after reading the patch file for building the stock OpenWRT for VoCore), which after moving out the trashed /etc/config/network file seems to largely restore things - at least the wireless network seems to have come back and Luci is working again. Is this documented anywhere? I couldn't find any obvious mention of it, but as I say, I am not very familiar with OpenWRT (yet).

Also, is there a snapshot of the 'factory installed' configuration files anywhere for /etc/config for the VoCore in case I manage to mess anything else up during my playing?

My next step is the switch the eth<->wifi around so that the VoCore acts as a client for the Wifi, bridging across to the Ethernet ... I'll be working through the configuration next, but again if there are any links to already do this, any pointers would be most welcome (I'm still reading back through the forums and blog posts).

Many Thanks,
Kevin

Vonger

Tue May 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Connect USB2TTL to VoCore, once you boot up VoCore, press Enter + f (there is notify on console)
You will go to recover mode, call firstboot, and everything will back to normal.

noblepepper

Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm

To get more familiar with Openwrt you may want to check out the wiki I set up.

As you learn things, you are welcome to add content to the wiki for others to use!

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock