Serial over micro USB?

Peter H

Serial over micro USB?

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:20 am

It would be really great if it was possible to bridge one of the UARTs onto a USB virtual serial port. Is this remotely feasible? I'm envisaging something like the software-based USB driver used on the Arduino Leonardo, although I have no idea whether that approach is practical here.

silviop

Re: Serial over micro USB?

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 pm

RT5350 USB port is dual mode so you can use as slave, but you need a software to emulate a serial adapter,
and you never can see kernel boot messages in real time before the usb serial slave driver start and attach itself to console output.

charliex

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:20 pm

the leo uses usb hw to implement a software cdc acm uart , not the actual uart. a breakout to ftdi232rl would be the easiest and not lose the existing usb port.

Vonger

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 am

This is a good idea. :)

Peter H

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:01 am

The ability to get a serial connection via the dock using the existing USB without requiring any additional hardware would be very useful IMO - it's one of the things that makes Arduino so convenient, that you can just plug it into a PC USB and that takes care of everything you need to program it.

leo1981

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Yes, it would be great to integrate the USB-TTL into the Dock, so we can access serial console through the micro-USB port.

The micro USB port is used just for power.

mattsoftware

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:30 am

+1. I just got my VoCore and the first thing I want to do is communicate with it over UART. No success yet. Its confusing having different schematics with the same version number on them. Having the usb to ttl on the dock is a great idea.

I think a better idea would be to provide the usb directly on the VoCore itself, and not need the dock. This will provide a convenient way to power the device without clunky wiring, and if the uart chip can be integrated as well, that would be awesome. I do not particularly need the ethernet/usb/microsd, but everyone needs to power up the vocore, and I would assume over 80% of the uses will likely be by usb power anyway (assumption only, no real idea).

Just my two cents for my first post :)

Matt.

Vonger

Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:37 am

VoCore is not make for starter, its target is for hobbyists make their IoTs easier.
So I did not add that addition USB port on VoCore(later will have a starter kit, contains break out board will fit your request).
I want it to be flexible but not to be a study board.
There already tons of types study boards, VoCore do not want to become one of them :)

mattsoftware

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 am

Yes. I would love to see a breakout board with a usb adaptor used for power and serial. A suggestion I could make would be to either provide a second option for the vocore, which had the usb for power and serial built it, or provide that functionality within the dock, and a third option to have a small under-board which would just have a usb connector to do the serial.

What I would like is the vocore that I can simply plug into power to get it booted, and to have the ability to plug my computer into it for firmware upgrades and debugging.

Another option which would suit me fine is to provide a cable which would plug into the vocore and then into the uart adapter. That way I do not have to risk soldering the board to provide the breakout, and then use tiny wires that break all the time to plug into the breakout. Even nicer would be a direct connection of the usb uart connector into the vocore, similar to this...
http://gcduino.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... .36.03.jpg

I know the VoCore does not want to be in this market, but providing this kind of breakout would be invaluable for me. I'm being selfish of course, but with the price point and the capability of this little device, I would love to see this single hardware modification to make it easier to use :)

Matt.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock