Instructions for setting up a Development system.

noblepepper

Instructions for setting up a Development system.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:23 pm

I have added a wikipage with step by step instructions on setting up a development environment for your VoCore.

It is based on the Chaos Calmer (15.05) release of OpenWrt which is the latest stable release and shows how to download the buildroot, apply the VoCore customizations, configure your build, build, flash your VoCore, compile c programs and set up Eclipse for a full IDE with source level debugging.

Most of this is available on Vonger's blog, the main difference is that everything is combined into a single set of instructions. It adds information on how to base your system on the stable version of OpenWrt and using Eclipse.

If you try it, please let me know if you have any troubles.

Of course you are welcome to improve the wiki as well!

xose

Re: Instructions for setting up a Development system.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 am

Hi

I built and flashed a custom image for my vocore following your instructions and it worked like charm. Thank you!

One question, I have some (limited) experience with openwrt but I've faced 2 ways to build an image with custom configuration files:

1. patching the build files (like you do)
2. adding a "files" folder with everything that will overwrite the original files when creating squashfs image.

I've been using the 2nd method cause I feel it's less invasive with the original files (you can have a repo with your .config file and files folder, copy it on top of a fresh openwrt checkout, make defconfig and make). Remove this two and you have the original openwrt again (sure you can also unpatch your patch, but still...). This files folder is te same you use when building with the Image Builder.
Any advantages of the patch way of doing it? Or maybe I am losing something?

Thank you!

noblepepper

Re: Instructions for setting up a Development system.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 am

The biggest advantage to my method is I know how to do it ;) To a man with a hammer, every problem is a nail!

I manage different configurations/versions with git, it works for me but is still far from optimum.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock