Reset setting

pkedvessy

Reset setting

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering how I can reset the default setting. I played with interface setting on the web interface and I mixed up something...
After powering up the module there is now vocore wifi network and I get the following signal by the green led on the network plug:
. . - . .

I can see this "message" few times and after that the module seems like restarting itself.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter H

Re: Reset setting

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 pm

I think step 2 in the 'getting started' guide should be to configure VoCore to enable SSH and HTTP on the Ethernet interface, so that you have an easy way to connect and put things right if you mess up the WiFi configuration.

If you haven't already done that then you're in the same situation I was in a few days ago. You will need to connect the USB-TTL adapter to your VoCore and use PuTTY or similar terminal emulation to get a command line interface to the VoCore. Then you can edit the configuration files to get things working again.

If you still have a working network interface then you can also use the web interface to download a snapshot of the configuration, and reinstate it. If you have don't have a snapshot of the initial configuration then you take one from another VoCore. Taking a configuration snapshot should be step 1 in the 'getting started guide'.

IMO step 3 should be configuring the WiFi interface as a client, and/or securing the AP. Until you do this, your VoCore provides unrestricted public access to your Ethernet network from the outside world, bypassing all the network protections of your router.

pkedvessy

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:15 pm

I have command line interface by the USB-TTL adapter but no throw any network interface.
Could you please help me to restore the interface configurations or to set up the wifi AP from scratch?

Peter H

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 am

At the command prompt set the working directory to /etc/config. The files you need to fix are here. You will need to use the 'vi' editor to edit them. If you aren't familiar with that then expect a painful learning curve, but 'vi' is well known and you should find plenty of tutorials on the internet.

The file you are most likely to need to change is /etc/config/wireless. The example below should get you back to a running AP with no security.

Code: Select all
config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  11
        option hwmode   11g
        option path     '10180000.wmac'
        option htmode   HT20

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     VoCore
        option encryption none

After saving the file, run the command 'wifi' to apply the new configuration.

Once you have got WiFi access back I recommend using the LuCI web interface to back up the existing configuration. If your VoCore has an Ethernet port then I recommend you also change the configuration to enable SSH and HTTP connections via Ethernet. From memory, that is as simple as moving the Ethernet virtual network interface from the WAN zone to the LAN zone and LuCI is the easiest way to do that.

pkedvessy

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks a ton! It is working now.

harrisonhjones

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:01 am

I'm having a similar issue. My "vocore" network shows up but I am unable to connect to it.
Here's my /etc/config/wireless
Code: Select all
config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path '10180000.wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option txpower '20'
        option country '00'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'