Second UART

aarobc

Re: Second UART

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:22 am

blark wrote:I'd like to echo the request of a previous poster. If someone could do a quick step by step instruction to enable the second UART I'd really appreciate it.

The whole blob of source code on the linked page isn't very helpful for me as I'm not intimately familiar with OpenWRT. Also, there seems to be an alternate solution mentioned in the comments.. patching pinctrl-rt2880.c. Again, help a noob out and explain where this file is and what the best way to apply the patch is, please?

Thanks very much

This is greatly needed.

I found the dtsi file Vonager is referencing in his blog post here: http://vonger.cn/?p=1409 but it has little resemblance to the rt3050.dtsi file in the openWRT source.

I notice that he's referencing the actual original file at the top:
/include/ "rt5350.dtsi"

That's great and all, so... do I create another dtsi file? dts file? If so, what am I to call it? Does this then require referencing somewhere else in the makefile or perhaps the .config file generated by the menuconfig script?

Please keep in mind a lot of us are new to openWRT; any additional guidance is immensely appreciated.

aarobc

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am

blark wrote:I'd like to echo the request of a previous poster. If someone could do a quick step by step instruction to enable the second UART I'd really appreciate it.

The whole blob of source code on the linked page isn't very helpful for me as I'm not intimately familiar with OpenWRT. Also, there seems to be an alternate solution mentioned in the comments.. patching pinctrl-rt2880.c. Again, help a noob out and explain where this file is and what the best way to apply the patch is, please?

Thanks very much

This is greatly needed.

I found the dtsi file Vonager is referencing in his blog post here: http://vonger.cn/?p=1409 but it has little resemblance to the rt3050.dtsi file in the openWRT source.

I notice that he's referencing the actual original file at the top:
/include/ "rt5350.dtsi"

That's great and all, so... do I create another dtsi file? dts file? If so, what am I to call it? Does this then require referencing somewhere else in the makefile or perhaps the .config file generated by the menuconfig script?

Please keep in mind a lot of us are new to openWRT; any additional guidance is immensely appreciated.

Vonger

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:43 am

Sorry about that, I am not clear on my blog, all you have to do is to update VOCORE.dts, then compile again
I update my blog.

Greenwire-Elektronik

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:19 pm

aarobc - did you tried the answer of rotmoset on reddit? what was the result?
Buy now - breakout board for VoCore to easy adapting your idea!

Follow us on Twitter or facebook!

Peter

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:52 am

I got the second UART running, but have some strange behaviour:

UART1 uboot + kernel + console output
UART2 kernel + console ouput

I actually expected the second UART to have no output at all because I can see the kernel only configured to output on UART1.
Why do I get the duplcated output? (the only thing not duplicated is uboot output which is only showing on UART1).

matt

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:52 pm

This is what I get when changing the following line in "target/linux/ramips/dts/rt5350.dtsi"

bootargs = "console=ttyS1,57600";

uart lite or ttyS1 = U-Boot + kernel + console
uart full or ttyS0 = nothing

bootargs = "console=ttyS0,57600";

uart lite or ttyS1 = U-Boot + early kernel
uart full or ttyS0 = kernel + console

If you want to disable early kernel messages to ttyS1 uncheck "Early printk" in "Kernel hacking" using "make kernel_menuconfig"

Matt

Previous
Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock