Development Environment

elkton

Development Environment

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi,

I've purchased the VoCore2 Beta after loving the VoCore. I'm an Embedded Linux Engineer and would like to help the VoCore2 project, the page says I should post questions here.

Where is the development OpenWRT located and is this the only repo I need, what branch/tag/commit id should be used for submitting patches etc...

Cheers
Pete

pwgen

Re: Development Environment

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:35 pm

i got an email from the Vocore Team with a link to
https://github.com/noblepepper/openwrt-chaoscalmer
i could build a booting image, but failing getting wifi working.

/pwgen

update 01:
after some spi-reflash-unbrick sessions with an raspberry, i now can successfully build and boot custom images
thanks to the guide from noblepeppers 1' st.post.
btw please add at least busybox-uudecode and maybe lrsrz to your image , then its easy to add software via serial interface.
Last edited by pwgen on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noblepepper

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Vonger has the MTK SDK but there is a lot of proprietary stuff in it so it can't really be put on the internet.

I am using Chaos Calmer (the SDK is Barrier Breaker based), to get the MTL wifi driver you can use the Mediatek Linkit 7688 feeds repo, and set up a dts if the default target doesn't work for you.

My version of the above is here make sure you use the VoCore2 branch. This repo is set up to use UART2 so if you want UART0 change VoCore2.dts accordingly.

There are also some changes in the pinctrl drivers, I couldn't get some things to work with out them.

noblepepper

Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 am

As usual it looks like documentation would be very useful. I'll try to put together some better instructions on how to use what I have put together. and put them on github and my wiki pages. I've been working pretty much in isolation and some collaboration would be great.

@pwgen - I'll see what I can do with uudecode and lrsrz and add it to my work.

My objective is to have a easy to to load, fully featured image for non-beta users to load on their VoCore2 when they get it. Feel free to post issues or pull requests to my repo, unless Vonger has a "official" recommendation this may be the best path forward.

If you have the capability to write the flash chip (however rpi/flashrom/vocore-to-vocore) I encourage you to try the uboot Vonger and I put together. The biggest advantages are some bugfixes and webpage image loading through ethernet and changing baudarate with setenv/saveenv. Even the uboot that comes on the beta VoCore2's has option 0 & 5 available on the boot options for serial upload and USB upload, they are just "hidden" by not being on the menu.

When running 460800 on a serial upload I can recover from a bad image in 3-4 minutes instead of the 20-30 minutes using 57600! Just back up the original uboot in case you need to write i back to the flash. Again, instructions coming soon. I would really appreciate feed back on if this works for everyone or I am just very lucky.

elkton

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Ok so I now have 4 vocore2's excellent!

It looks like u-boot is on the SPI flash as default given the posts.

Serial is a crap way of getting new images, so I want to connect all the peripherals up, Ethernet, USB, WiFi and Serial.

I have the git repo for openwrt vocore2, anybody connected all the peripherals do they use the dock? (I have two), or what is the recommended way to get things going?

Cheers
Pete

Vonger

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:32 am

Hi, please check https://github.com/noblepepper/Das-U-boot for uboot (using UART2), and https://github.com/noblepepper/openwrt- ... r(checkout VoCore2)
By default, the VoCore2 are using UART0, and you'd better upload the firmware through its wireless console.

noblepepper

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:40 pm

I have used all the connections you mention but not all at once because I end up with a rats nest that is far to fragile, always knocking something loose.

I used a VoCore1 Dock and some home made jumper wires for Ethernet, and a USB plug intended to be soldered to a PCB for flash drives, otherwise just jumper wires and USB/UART converters.

Wifi is my preferred method but if you run the serial at high speeds (I like 460800 baud) it is not nearly as crappy ;-).

sporan

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:05 pm

hello - can some help.
Looking for wifi tx power range (low to hi) supported by RT5350.

Thanks in advance

Vonger

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:14 am

max 100mw

Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate