should the vocore get CE and FCC Certification?

Axel.Just@outlook.de

should the vocore get CE and FCC Certification?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:21 am

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of concepts for adons and docks, that I would like to realize and maybe even commercialize. Unfortunately I can not retail a product without CE certification. So I am currently not abel to use the vocore in my concept plannings, even tho it would be perfect.

So here is my question:
Am I the only one wishing the vocore had CE and FCC certification?

If no, then let us know.
Maybe we can get Vonger to certifie his product, if we all pull together in the same direction, so that it is easier to expand the ecosystem.

KingBeetle

Re: should the vocore get CE and FCC Certification?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:13 am

What sort of impact would the certification process have on the price of the unit?

Vonger

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:34 pm

It will increase cost of course.
For personal usage FCC/CE is not necessary, but if you use VoCore in your production, FCC/CE is necessary.

egooch

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Vonger, what would the cost be for you to get the Vocore2 FCC and CE certified. If our tests go well, we are looking to use these in a commercial product, and we might be willing to either fund or help fund the certification process.

Vonger

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 am

It is around 1500USD. FCC+CE+RoHS

egooch

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:06 pm

We have 5 units on order from you. If we can get them to perform as we expect they will, then I'd be happy to work out some kind of a deal with us funding the certification. I believe that would save us money in the long run and help the community out.

If we did this, would you be able to keep these low prices for the community, or would you still have to raise them?

electronic_eel

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 pm

From my experience it is hard to get a WiFi or Bluetooth radio module certified without a metal shield can around the radio ic. Look e.g. on ebay or Aliexpress for all the ESP8266 modules - the ones with CE and FCC all have small shield cans around the ic. They don't do that for the looks...

Is 1500USD really the cost for testing a radio module? I just have experience with CE in Europe, but that is about the cost for a regular, non-radio, product. If a product has a radio transmitter in it, you can't just go to any EMC lab for the tests, it must be a special one, a "notified body". Then you put the number of the notified body next to the CE sign. The charges for them are usually much higher.

But when you use such a certified radio module in your product it is much easier for you because you don't have to go through all this procedure again. You can just test your product in a regular emc lab.

Vonger

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi, CE and RoHS is simple cert, won't take much. Only FCC will cost.
I think the shell is used to avoid other equipment crosstalk to RF. EMC is very low for VoCore.

Vonger

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:17 pm

There is no doubt VoCore2 could pass FCC simply. If there is a EMC lab that will greatly reduce the cost for FCC. 1500USD is all-in-one, just send sample to them and wait then get the cert. :)
Of course, we will keep the price low for a long time.

egooch

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Sounds good, once our 5 pieces arrive and we've been able to verify functionality, i'll get back with you on arranging for certification.

As a side note, has anyone tried or been able to get B.A.T.M.A.N. up and running on a Vocore2?

Next
Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate