Unable to build from source - All mirrors down for kernels

illumindesign

Unable to build from source - All mirrors down for kernels

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:34 pm

I am trying to build from source but cannot, it seems all of the kernel sources are offline.

I cannot complete the build. This is the output, my internet is fine:

mkdir -p /source/openwrt/dl
/source/openwrt/scripts/download.pl "/source/openwrt/dl" "linux-3.18.29.tar.xz" "b25737a0bc98e80d12200de93f239c28" "" "@KERNEL/linux/kernel/v3.x"
--2017-03-01 11:27:25-- ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern ... .29.tar.xz
=> '-'
Resolving ftp.all.kernel.org (ftp.all.kernel.org)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'ftp.all.kernel.org'
Download failed.
--2017-03-01 11:27:25-- http://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker ... .29.tar.xz
Resolving ftp.all.kernel.org (ftp.all.kernel.org)... failed: Name or service not known.
Download failed.
--2017-03-01 11:27:25-- ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern ... .29.tar.xz
=> '-'
Download failed.
--2017-03-01 11:27:25-- http://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker ... .29.tar.xz
Download failed.
--2017-03-01 11:27:25-- http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/linux-3.18.29.tar.xz
Resolving mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)... 46.4.11.11
Connecting to mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)|46.4.11.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-03-01 11:27:28 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Download failed.
--2017-03-01 11:27:28-- http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/li ... .29.tar.xz
Resolving downloads.openwrt.org (downloads.openwrt.org)... 78.24.191.177
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (downloads.openwrt.org)|78.24.191.177|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-03-01 11:27:28 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Download failed.
No more mirrors to try - giving up.
Makefile:100: recipe for target '/source/openwrt/dl/linux-3.18.29.tar.xz' failed
make[3]: *** [/source/openwrt/dl/linux-3.18.29.tar.xz] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/source/openwrt/toolchain/kernel-headers'
toolchain/Makefile:81: recipe for target 'toolchain/kernel-headers/prepare' failed
make[2]: *** [toolchain/kernel-headers/prepare] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/source/openwrt'
toolchain/Makefile:80: recipe for target '/source/openwrt/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kec+dsp_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.toolchain_install' failed
make[1]: *** [/source/openwrt/staging_dir/toolchain-mipsel_24kec+dsp_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.toolchain_install] Error 2

krasin

Re: Unable to build from source - All mirrors down for kerne

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 am

I was also hit by this issue. See the fix: https://github.com/noblepepper/openwrt- ... mer/pull/2

noblepepper

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:03 pm

This is because kernel.org has changed the download links.

It looks like you are trying to build the source on vocore.io, I believe this will build the image that came on the vocore2 when you got it. It doesn't have the changes in the the 20161224 image which is the latest from vocore.io. If this is the source you are working with you will need to change the download links yourself.

krasin noticed this and I have merged his pull request into my repo, so if you want to use my sources they have this fix.

If you want to use sources that don't have this already fixed you need to change the file .scripts/download.pl like this

Ictinike

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:14 pm

@NoblePepper

Thank you! From someone who has compiled the source already, but noticed not having the 20161224 changes, I will now start checking your repo out for future additions and builds.

Cheers,
~Icky

illumindesign

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you for the reply, i ended up modifying the download.py file myself and getting it to build :).

@noblepepper , You said that the source i was building is not the latest, and that the image "20161224" is. Whats different between the two?

I am trying to get setup with SPI or I2C, i know vonger has been working hard to get the SPI working on the Vocore, do you know if "20161224" has those SPI changes that vonger was working on? I cant get it working in the one i compiled.

thanks again!

noblepepper

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:25 pm

I wouldn't call either "the latest" they are just the latest from vocore.io.

One difference I KNOW is that the 20161224 image doesn't spew "no support for card volts" errors to console on the variants without an sd card slot (lack of pull up resistors on sd pins causes this).

Vonger's solution was to remove
Code: Select all
dev_warn(mmc_dev(host), "no support for card's volts\n");

from the driver. The kernel is still looping around trying to initialize a non existent sd card. No big deal but I don't like it.

My solution is to not load the module if you don't have an sd card slot.
Vonger's solution allows a one size fits all image, mine requires different images for boards depending on whether or not you have the sd card slot. I see benefits in both approaches, of course I like mine.

I2C should work fine but I know nothing about it except that several people have had trouble setting it up. The audio chip is controlled by i2c on the variants with audio so it must work.

SPI should work fine as long as you don't trigger this bug. The mt7628 hardware can only handle 16 bytes at a time in full duplex and the existing driver doesn't have a half duplex mode. It appears that in full duplex the first byte is also wrong due to a hardware problem.

There is a patch for this in the wild but I believe it is for 4.x.x series kernels (chaos calmer is 3.x.x) I hope to see if it works as is ffor 3.x.x or back port it if needed this evening. This patch is supposed to fix SPI for any size data payload but it is only half duplex, it should work for most applications.

I hope to push this and a few other things to my repo in the next day or two.

Ictinike

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:49 am

Roger that and totally agree on the 'best' or 'newest' but I sent him a PM on how to eliminated the 'card's volts' error but hadn't received a response as of yet.

I was digging and digging and then tried taking out the SDHCI module which worked but while I don't have SD on my plain board yet; I could see a use in the future.

Regardless, excellent work and been checking out and building a few things until I ran out of disk on my 20g VM, lol.. Now I've built a 100g VMWare host and getting all back ready :)

Thank both you and Vonger again!

noblepepper

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:04 am

The "real" solution is to have pull ups on the sdhci pins, with that it the only difference in presence or absence of the module is image size and perhaps a very tiny bit of performance. If you put them on whatever you add to the VoCore2 you won't need to worry about it anymore.

I think the need was discovered too late in the design process for the resistors to be on the main board.

Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate