Configuring SD card to expand the root file system

www139

Configuring SD card to expand the root file system

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm

I would like to configure an SD card to expand the root file system so I can install additional packages.
I notice a new directory mmcblk0 appears in dev when I insert the card.
dev.PNG
dev.PNG (27.9 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

When I navigate to the "mount points" section on the Vocore's web control panel, I see the volume appears in the SWAP list.
interface mount points.PNG
interface mount points.PNG (79.09 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

How can I configure the card to expand the root file system? The goal is to allow additional space to install packages and work on projects within the root environment.

Thank you.

KingBeetle

Re: Configuring SD card to expand the root file system

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:12 am

I followed this https://samhobbs.co.uk/2013/11/more-space-for-packages-with-extroot-on-your-openwrt-router and moved my root filesystem to a USB thumbdrive with great success.
I don't see any reason it wouldn't work just as easily for an SD card. Just a matter of replacing /dev/sdX with the path to your SD card.

Be aware however I don't have an SD card slot on my VoCore, nor have I tried it with an SD card, so try it at your own risk.

www139

Re: Configuring SD card to expand the root file system

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Unfortunately, since I originally started this thread, I corresponded with Vonger and it was suggested I update the firmware on my Vocore. Upon updating, I have 10x more available space but now the sd card is no longer recognized.

Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate