Building a minimal version of OpenWrt

BryanBarbosa

Building a minimal version of OpenWrt

Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:53 am

I'd like to build a minimal version of OpenWrt for Vocore2 that does not occupies much space. I still need GPIO, I2C, wireless, USB, and microsd to work. Could someone help me with the list of packages that must be included and the packages that must be removed? I'm very confused about that.

Vonger

Re: Building a minimal version of OpenWrt

Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:28 am

You can use "make menuconfig" and remove some package you do not need.
But for latest openwrt version, it is not very possible to make it very small, from our test, at least 5MB required. For old version like LEDE version, it is possible to be <4MB.

BryanBarbosa

Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:21 pm

Vonger wrote:You can use "make menuconfig" and remove some package you do not need.

Vonger, I've been trying to build a good minimal version for months and everytime something stops working on Vocore 2.
Could give me the list of what packages should be and what shouldn't for a minimal version that still must have GPIO, I2C, wireless, USB, and microsd working? Please! It would save my day.

Vonger

Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:43 am

I have to say if you use latest openwrt version you will meet many broken -- currently we are trying to fix them, but it require a lot of time to test and check about Linux kernel and driver.

So better to use stable and old version like 18.06, and it already has good dependence in openwrt already.
For your requirement: you can use latest openwrt 22.03, at least I2C GPIO USB Wireless microSD are all working for me.

Vonger

Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:44 am

Also we have 32MB SPI NOR flash version, you can contact sales@vocore.io about it.
So it will save your time to reduce the firmware size :)
We also have memory version 256MB memory. For most time 128MB is enough.

Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate