help for beginner

lamenace

Re: help for beginner

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:40 am

noblepepper wrote:The version or magic file is probably why file is not showing as much information as I get. I use debian 8.1 which installs file 5.22. In any case linking against a library that isn't on the target will definitely cause problems.

And how do you have uClibc toolchain ? I did a crosscompiling environment like on the wiki and I only have musl toolchain

I think a more relevant question is how you got a musl toolchain. You are not the first, see this post

I started working on a topic about setting up a development environment from start to finish on my wiki but got sidetracked trying figure out how my hosting company hosed the icons.

Until I get that done I recommend using the new stable release of openwrt. If you install git on your development box you can get started with:
Code: Select all
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a

Change the firmware size in targets/linux/ramips/dts/VOCORE.dts from
partition@50000 {
               label = "firmware";
               reg = <0x50000 0x7b0000>;
            };
to
partition@50000 {
               label = "firmware";
               reg = <0x50000 0xfb0000>;
            };

then use make menuconfig to set everything up how you want it. The most important settings are
Target System (Ralink RT288x/RT3xxx) 
Subtarget (RT3x5x/RT5350 based boards)
Target Profile (VoCore) 
I recommend marking LUCI as part of the image (with a * not a m) so it is available after you flash the image.

If I do this will it erase all my network settings ? or does it just upgrade system files ?

noblepepper

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:57 am

I stand corrected, used to be uClibc, now musl in trunk/development.

The OpenWrt default is definitely uClibc, I have built many images for several different platforms and they all have uClibc.

Where did you download your build root from?

Can you download a fresh copy and build after changing ONLY
Target System (Ralink RT288x/RT3xxx) 
Subtarget (RT3x5x/RT5350 based boards)
Target Profile (VoCore)
Last edited by noblepepper on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lamenace

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 am

I get it from vocore wiki, I just followed the tutorial

noblepepper

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 am

You are not alone, I have seen several posts from people with problems because they got a MUSL library based system. Can you post the exact command you used to download the build root? I use
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git

I have started on step by step instructions but they are still a work in progress...

noblepepper

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:52 am

Was this the tutorial you used?

If so, it downloads the development branch, I try to use a stable release whenever I can.

Here is some info on what happend to you.

If you flash the image that got built or the image from the buildbot before you install packages or copy your cross compiled programs most things should work.

If you stick to the release version things will go smoother, there is a 15.05 in the url's for it.

lamenace

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Ok I've definitively screwed my board.
I upload a crosscompiled image to it then flash it. After this the Luci was broken, I couldn't loggued again as I get "assert" error in Luci.
I tried to do mtd to erase rootfs_data to get system back like I did before but not luck, Luci remains broken.
I finaly tried to flash it using TTL, all seamed to be ok but since board lloks dead. No more TTL connection, no more wifi. Green led only lights for 1 second.

noblepepper

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:17 pm

If you don't have hardware damage it can be unscrewed. Double check your connections, I had a cold solder joint that ran me crazy. A partial bridge could also do strange things. An intermittent connection will lead to a bad flash.

If das uboot is intact and you can get a serial connection the Kermit upload method will increase your happiness.

If uboot is corrupt you can write the flash like this I used an arduino but I think someone else on this forum used a raspberry pi. Be careful of voltages I used a level translator (<$1 us)

lamenace

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:40 am

I think it's bricked because I was able to connect without any problem.
Could I use an AVR USB programmer to flash it ?

noblepepper

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:11 am

Here is flashrom's list of supported programmers

lamenace

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:35 pm

Ok that sounds like the end of my >VoCore adventure :/

PreviousNext
Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock