Help I've scrambled my root password

FarmerG

Help I've scrambled my root password

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 pm

I had changed the root password on my Vocore (via SSH) about a week ago (to something clever of course) then set things aside, now I cannot remember what I had used for the life of me. I've tried performing a system reset by jumping the reset and ground pins during boot and other points during the boot cycle using visual clues from the onboard LED and RJ45 LED's but It doesn't seem to be going into failsafe mode (as per OpenWRT descriptions). I'm setting up to go in via TTL but would really like to be able to do this some other way. Any Ideas. Thanks for your attention.

Vonger

Re: Help I've scrambled my root password

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:34 am

The only way is to connect to USB2TTL and update the shadow file or call "mtd -e rootfs_data"

ronlaws86

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:23 am

if you can get to the command prompt from TTL, you may be able to set a new root password by entering: passwd
this should let you set a new root password without requiring the old one and avoid flattening your settings if you have any. :D

noblepepper

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:14 pm

You can definitely set the root password as @ronlaws86 says. Once you have access back you can eliminate needing to use it in ssh sessions like this

FarmerG

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 am

Thank you everyone for your input. Problem Solved! I was able to reset the root password as advised by ronlaws86 without any trouble, and I'll look into the SSH Key as recommended by noblepepper. Thanks again.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock