Attach to serial console without soldering

kloczek

Attach to serial console without soldering

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi,

Accidentally I've disabled wi-fi without active eth.
By this of course now I cannot acces to my VoCore2, and of course only method de-bricking it is login over serial console.
I have some USB2UART adapters so it is not a big deal :?
Issue is that I don't wanna solder cables to VoCore2 board so I'm looking for enough small (needle size?) probe connectors.
Maybe someone can recommend some proper probe cables which could be easily connected to 2.54mm needles on typical USB2UART adapters.

I'm sure that it will be not last bricking my VoCore as I'm going to make many experiments si I've started thinking about other way accessing to boot console.
VoCore2 dock has two USb ports. Une micro USB which is used to power whole VoCore and second normal size USB port.
Maybe this second USB port could be used to redirect boot console?
If if this possible I'll be glad for any advices/details about how to do such setup :)
And another thought .. if it is possible to have boot console access on VoCore2+dock over USB maybe it would be god to embed such setup in default firmware (?)
I'm sure that such setup would allow faster development of many VoCore applications :)

kloczek

Vonger

Re: Attach to serial console without soldering

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:25 am

Connect UART2 TX RX and GND, then it will work. Do not need to solder, just touch, it will work.

Ictinike

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:54 am

I use serial debug so much I soldered (carefully) 1.27mm female headers so I could use pins as you normally would. It's small; REALLY small @ 1.27mm but it can be done :)

kloczek

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:00 pm

I think that I found some useful tools which could be used on attaching temporary serial cable.
[url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-pcs-Pitch-2-54mm-Jumper-Wire-1x10-pin-Female-to-Flat-Test-Clip-Ribbon-Cable/32533960106.html
[/url]
However in case 1.27mm pins probably it would be better to have pincer grip probes :roll:

Please let me know if someone will find something better than this set :)

I'm looking as well for single 1.27mm pin female header which could be soldered to VoCore2 (still cannot find in any store despite this that I see them on some images when I'm trying to google it).

Ictinike

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:57 am

@Kloczek

Here the headers, both male and female, that I purchased and used.

The female were too bad and some sanding has to be done on a few corners where headers butt against headers but the male are rough. I ended up doing for now power and ground on 2 pins out of 4 so the block was large enough to handle. I originally pulled the then soldered male pins from the plastic and just used the pin but they were a bit loose.

What I did was do empty pin, ground, empty pin , empty pin VCC, empty pin to give it a bit more 'structure' and it's worked thus far. Essentially in drawing

|--|----|--|
g~~~v
(added ~ for forum spacing)

Here are the fleaBay links to the ones I picked up overseas as I could not find any 1.27mm of average price U.S. Stateside:

Female: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281291380093
Male: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281291380113

Cheers,
~Icky

kloczek

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:11 pm

On aliexpress is possible to buy 10pcsx50Pin a bit cheaper.
However I'm looking for single pin make header not single row ones :)
I found on aliexpress some sets of 1.27mm headers however in case small number of pins (2+) most of them are offered as 200 to 1000 pcs sets so I'm looking for some sets with mixed number of pins.

Another thing: I'm looking for 1.27mm to 2.54mm jump wires (male/male or make/female) or any wires with hard tips which could be use with 1.27mm holes.
Can someone may recommend some jump wires enough thin to be used with vocore?

Ictinike

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 pm

kloczek wrote:Another thing: I'm looking for 1.27mm to 2.54mm jump wires (male/male or make/female) or any wires with hard tips which could be use with 1.27mm holes.
Can someone may recommend some jump wires enough thin to be used with vocore?

You find these, let me know! :)

I also searched for them unsuccessfully so I'll be really interested if someone makes these.

kloczek

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:06 pm

I've ordered couple of things from aliexpress s when all this stuff will arrive (probably within +1 week) will be able to evaluate how much useful all this equipment is :)

kloczek

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm

OK here is some firs HW gadget which I've received yesterday which is IMO extremely useful on playing with VoCore :D
https://kloczek.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/vocore2-serial-console-equipment/

pflynn

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I have found that it is easier to use standard 0.1" (2.54mm) header pins and solder them to every other hole on the top, then do the same on the bottom, obviously offset by one hole from the top header.

This gives you the spacing you need to easily connect female connectors and helps avoid shorting out adjacent pins.

you can also trim the length to about 3/8" (10mm) above spacer (before soldering) because that's all you really need for quick connections.

The bottom row header is then at the right spacing to mount on standard bread boards, so you don't need to touch the vocore2 so much.

Next
Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate