VoCore2 Ultimate - is microSD slot working?

rgheorghe

Re: VoCore2 Ultimate - is microSD slot working?

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:06 am

In case somebody else does what I did, and needs some hints as to what to do, see below how I managed to solve it in my case.

First the problem.
From what I can tell, it seems I flashed 20170527V.bin (instead of 20170527.bin)
That had issues for me, SDCard was not working.
So then, I flashed a newer one from that webpage (http://vonger.cn/misc/vocore2/).
The issue with that one was that while now the SDCard was working (but for some reason only for cards formatted with FAT, but not exFAT), the wifi didn't, and could not connect over IP (SSH) to it anymore.

To fix it, I had to first find a small SD card formatted FAT (surprisingly hard to find in my house nowadays...)
I copied on it the correct firmware (20170527.bin)

Then, connected my VoCore2, using a micro-USB-to-USB cable, to a computer.
It registered there as COM5 in my case (a W10 PC).
Using TeraTerm, I connected it on that COM5, and set it up with:
- Setup/Serial Port ... ==> 'Speed' set to 115200
- Setup/Font... ==> set to Terminal (that is the name of the font I picked on my PC)

After all that, and after pressing ENTER, I got a root console into my VoCore2.
From there:
mkdir /mnt/sdcard
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard
cp /mnt/sdcard/20170527.bin /tmp/vocore2.bin
mtd -e firmware write /tmp/vocore2.bin firmware

That last command wiped the firmware and installed the one I specified.
When mtd finished running, I stopped my VoCore2:
poweroff

Then I removed the USB cable, then powered the box back on, and all was once again good with the world.
R.

rgheorghe

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 am

In case somebody else does what I did, and needs some hints as to what to do, see below how I managed to solve it in my case.

First the problem.
From what I can tell, it seems I flashed 20170527V.bin (instead of 20170527.bin)
That had issues for me, SDCard was not working.
So then, I flashed a newer one from that webpage (http://vonger.cn/misc/vocore2/).
The issue with that one was that while now the SDCard was working (but for some reason only for cards formatted with FAT, but not exFAT), the wifi didn't, and could not connect over IP (SSH) to it anymore.

To fix it, I had to first find a small SD card formatted FAT (surprisingly hard to find in my house nowadays...)
I copied on it the correct firmware (20170527.bin)

Then, connected my VoCore2, using a micro-USB-to-USB cable, to a computer.
It registered there as COM5 in my case (a W10 PC).
Using TeraTerm, I connected it on that COM5, and set it up with:
- Setup/Serial Port ... ==> 'Speed' set to 115200
- Setup/Font... ==> set to Terminal (that is the name of the font I picked on my PC)

After all that, and after pressing ENTER, I got a root console into my VoCore2.
From there:
mkdir /mnt/sdcard
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard
cp /mnt/sdcard/20170527.bin /tmp/vocore2.bin
mtd -e firmware write /tmp/vocore2.bin firmware

That last command wiped the firmware and installed the one I specified.
When mtd finished running, I stopped my VoCore2:
poweroff

Then I removed the USB cable, then powered the box back on, and all was once again good with the world.
R.

Vonger

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am

do you try other microSD card? maybe not compatible?

genady

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:11 pm

Hello, I have same problem.
I bought several Vocore2. They all have one problem - it doesn't work microSD! I see that this is a software problem. There are not enough drivers in the firmware. I tried different firmware. The maximum of what has been achieved is a readonly mode.

Why are you selling a non-working product?

My ultimate goal is to expand the memory of programs using an SD card. How can i do this? Or at least, for a start, read and write files from the SD card???

Vonger

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:44 am

genady wrote:Hello, I have same problem.
I bought several Vocore2. They all have one problem - it doesn't work microSD! I see that this is a software problem. There are not enough drivers in the firmware. I tried different firmware. The maximum of what has been achieved is a readonly mode.

Why are you selling a non-working product?

My ultimate goal is to expand the memory of programs using an SD card. How can i do this? Or at least, for a start, read and write files from the SD card???

of course not, SD card all tested before out of factory.

But openwrt support format is limited, NTFS is readonly, FAT should work normal.

ArkEngr

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Microsoft does not want to share ExFat. I was working on a project that required really big files on SD cards and I found driver for embedded from ChaN that worked well but he was the only one.

genady

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 pm

I tried everything now. Does not work!!!
I tried FAT,FAT32, ext2, ext3, ex4 . I tried SD card 2GB and 16GB . I tried many ways of formatting and part sizes. I tried hree Vocore2 devices.
mout /dev/mmcblk0p5 on /mnt/SD1
mout -o rw /dev/mmcblk0p5 on /mnt/SD1
result -read only disk!
(/dev/mmcblk0p5 on /mnt/SD1 type exfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,namecase=1,errors=remount-ro))

I tested the from firmvare http://vonger.cn/misc/vocore2/20170527.bin

genady

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 pm

in continuation of my previous post . About firmvare
20170527V.bin SD card does not work at all
20170527.bin SD card read only (all formats)
20180419.bin SD card work normaly (read write) only in FAT16 , other formats do not work at all. The firmvare is one big bag - not working network , wifi , luci ,not installing mc etc bags...
20180723V.bin SD card does not work at all (maybe "V" builds, the builds without support CD card?

I have an elementary task, to increase the program memory. But I can not solve it! I don’t think that 16 MB of memory is enough for most projects.

How to solve this problem?

PS I tried to compile the build from http://vonger.cn/misc/vocore2/openwrt.tar.bz2 but there are a lot of compile errors. where you can get the assembly instructions (what operating system to use for the assembly, what packages are needed, etc.)

PS2
I see another bug, during loading the loader, before loading the operating system, the speed of the Com Port is more than 115200. (approximately 121,000) and at the standard speed of 115200 i cannot flash the chip, you have to put 121,000 for the flashing.
After the operating system is loaded, the speed becomes 115200
Why is that??

Vonger

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:05 am

I can almost confirm it is SD card format uncompatible...
Please check system log, what did the driver said when you mount the sd card?
show system message command "dmesg", you are correct, with 'V' do not have SD card driver.
Even without V, we only embed ExFAT and three page codecs, maybe that also effect? It is in menuconfig -> Kernel -> Native Language Support, we only select CP437, ISO8851-1
and current latest openwrt broken sd card driver, I have submitted the issue to openwrt, but nobody reply me. :(
You can compile your own firmware, with this driver https://github.com/vonger/vocore2 mt7628 for wifi, and revert commit 3a8efaef00d6b7317c46fe6b7e923912d8bf3500: https://github.com/Vonger/vocore2/issues/10, select more codec pages and more file system support, maybe it will work for your sd card.

note: 4302c917cc4dc244c007c6c1902b8e138a74ed0ec at Aug.30 fix such sdhci issue, so you can try latest openwrt , at least sd card part works.

Vonger

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 am

Please use the one from vocore.io/v2 or vocore.io/v2u.html in Firmware zone.
It is old from 2017 but everything works.
I also want to use latest openwrt, but tons of bugs, still fixing :)

Previous
Return to VoCore2/Lite/Ultimate