VoCore not responding over UART

Greenwire-Elektronik

Re: VoCore not responding over UART

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am

Your binary is not working on my Vocore either. Recompiling it in my environment will do.
I think your problem is not originated by the version of openwrt, i think you missed the step where you configure the right target with make menuconfig - you have to configure vocore as compiling target. Please ensure you followed that step, it is described in the link (Point 2c).

Your problem with WPA2 sounds ... problematic. Can you use ethernet cable connection for ssh? than you can still encrypt the WLAN connection. I am wondering whether someone else have problems in your mode. Can you please post your config how you configured Vocore exactly?
Buy now - breakout board for VoCore to easy adapting your idea!

Follow us on Twitter or facebook!

sunlitazure

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Yes! You are a genius. That was absolutely correct, I screwed up that exact point. I guess the first time I compiled my environment I didn't save the menuconfig changes correctly. I have now recompiled the environment, recompiled the c program, uploaded the binary and successfully run it on my vocore. Thank you so much for the help, I have no idea how long it would've taken me to figure that out on my own. I can finally start doing a bit of programming for this thing.

I have the non-dock version of the vocore so Ethernet is not really an option for it. Also my development pc doesn't have a wireless card so I can't connect to vocore through 192.168.61.1. I have to use my home wifi router to connect. Not sure what the best way to post my configuration is so I'm just going to link a txt file with most of the copied config files from /etc/config. If you need other information on the configuration let me know.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75986522/config_info.txt
Under the wireless config the 'config wifi-iface' for network 'lan' is set with encryption as none. If I log into luci and change lan's encryption to wpa2 psk suddenly I'm unable to SSH over my home network. Using my laptop if I connect to the VoCore AP I'm able to use SSH at 192.168.61.1 just fine.

this is what the wireless file looks like after enabling encryption: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75986522/wireless_info.txt and I don't think any other files change.

Another thing to note, with the AP encrypted, I'm currently able to SSH over my network somehow, yet yesterday I couldn't connect no matter how many times I tried. So encryption makes the connection sporadic, random, and rare. Without encryption I have a 100% connection success rate. I wonder if my linksys router is causing the problem.

If more information is needed let me know. Thanks again for the help.

Greenwire-Elektronik

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:29 pm

I will have a look into it tomorrow, but before sunday i wont get hands on a vocore, so i cannot guarantee a solution. Never the less: Happy new Year :D

sunlitazure

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 am

Sounds good either way, I can wait. Happy new year to you too!

Greenwire-Elektronik

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:22 pm

This will last a bit longer i guess - apologies for this. From what you describe it seems to be a firewall configuration issue - would make sense, that ssh is only available in AP mode - in "client" mode, the vocore connects to something else, ssh is deactivated - no need configuring a slave device. that is my quick assumption. where we have to look at - i have not a clue, i have do dig deeper into it.
Can you please meanwhile do some basic testing?
From what i understand you have 4 devices in your environment:
  • VoCore w/o dock
  • Laptop with WiFi
  • Stationed Dev-PC with LAN
  • Router with LAN and WiFi

i found this link, not sure if it acutally met your problem, but i just drop it here:
viewtopic.php?p=226&sid=e2bea4f214b5dfff770e9d6296f81ee0#p226

Can you please fill the following list? It might help to narrow down the problem:

Is ssh working if:
  • VoCore is connected to Laptop directly@WEP
  • VoCore is connected to Laptop directly@WPA2
  • VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via WiFi to router])@WEP
  • VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via WiFi to router])@WPA2
  • VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via cable to router])@WEP
  • VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via cable to router])@WPA2
  • VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Dev-PC)@WEP
  • VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Dev-PC)@WPA2

charliex

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:11 am

firewall blocks ssh elswhere by default , either add a rule in luci, or turn off the firewall.

sunlitazure

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:04 am

VoCore is connected to Laptop directly@WEP: Doesn't work.
VoCore is connected to Laptop directly@WPA2: SSH is successful
VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via WiFi to router])@WEP: Couldn't connect to find out.
VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via WiFi to router])@WPA2: when Dev-PC works, this works. When Dev-PC fails, this fails.
VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via cable to router])@WEP: don't want to mess with my network again to test, probably doesn't work because other's didn't work.
VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Laptop[connected via cable to router])@WPA2: Doesn't work.
VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Dev-PC)@WEP: Doesn't work.
VoCore is connected via router (Checked with Dev-PC)@WPA2: SSH fails 95% of the time, works about twice in the morning after booting everything up. Restarting pc/ vorcore/ router doesn't seem to make a difference though. Maybe I have to do them all at the same time.

I was unable to get WEP to function properly at all. Even though I made sure to use a 10 digit Hex key and everything no matter what I tried my laptop refused to connect over that type of encryption. I had to use serial to go into the config files and set the encryption back to none. Regardless it didn't seem to work as far as letting me SSH anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter that I couldn't connect using it. It's probably an issue with my laptop.

I checked out your link, tried out a few different things I noticed in it, like renaming my network and messing with a few other settings to match what that person had, no success.

Charliex, to test your theory of it being an issue with the firewall I disabled the firewall temporarily using /etc/init.d/firewall stop and was still unable to SSH into it.

Peter H

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:26 pm

If you're connecting VoCore to your home Ethernet network then the unsecured WiFi access point represents a huge security loophole. I recommend that you either disable WiFi, or change it to client (STA) mode connecting to your home WiFi network (which I assume is already secured). The easiest way to reconfigure WiFi is using the web management interface. Obviously you need to ensure that you can connect SSH and HTTP sessions via Ethernet before you saw off the WiFi connection.

Previous
Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock