VoCore power usage

bramboos

VoCore power usage

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:19 pm

I want to use the VoCore as domotica solution. I want to connect all the vocore's with a hidden wifi network from a raspberry pi. Can I run this on a single AA battery or do I need to replace the battery's every day/week?

And is there an option to run the VoCore on low energy mode and then let it interrupt on a IO pin?

Vonger

Re: VoCore power usage

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:39 am

VoCore will consume 1watt every hour. AA battery is not enough.
At least 18650 x 2 to make it work a hole day.
Wifi is never a power save solution. :D

deshipu

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:53 am

You might want to consider using some BLE module (bluetooth low energy) with your sensors, possibly put in sleep mode most of the time and only waking up sporadically to make measurements. There are programmable BLE chips out there, and Raspberry PI can use a USB dongle to talk with them...

bramboos

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:19 am

deshipu wrote:You might want to consider using some BLE module (bluetooth low energy) with your sensors, possibly put in sleep mode most of the time and only waking up sporadically to make measurements. There are programmable BLE chips out there, and Raspberry PI can use a USB dongle to talk with them...

Is this only possible with BLE? I assume the vocore can also go in sleep mode and wake every 10 minutes or on a IO interrupt (if pin x goes from HIGH to LOW or from LOW to HIGH). I don't need more.

Vonger

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 am

There is no such function.
If you have an addition power control chip(power on VoCore every 10 minutes) this might OK.

deshipu

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:49 am

bramboos wrote:
deshipu wrote:You might want to consider using some BLE module (bluetooth low energy) with your sensors, possibly put in sleep mode most of the time and only waking up sporadically to make measurements. There are programmable BLE chips out there, and Raspberry PI can use a USB dongle to talk with them...

Is this only possible with BLE? I assume the vocore can also go in sleep mode and wake every 10 minutes or on a IO interrupt (if pin x goes from HIGH to LOW or from LOW to HIGH). I don't need more.

No, of course not just BLE, although it's nice for its low energy footprint. But if you really have to use WiFi, I would recommend using something like ESP8266 module. It's programmable, and the recent ESP-12 version has the deep_sleep pin broken out, so you can put it to sleep and have it wake up on interrupts or timer. It's also smaller than VoCore and ten times cheaper :)

VoCore is just not suitable for this kind of use.

Peter H

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Depending what range you need to achieve, you might find that an microcontroller and RF transceiver might work better as a very low power consumption controller. An Arduino-compatible microcontroller makes it very easy to manage an nRF24L01+ transceiver, which only needs a few mW when it's operating - and can be powered up and down very quickly. There are Arduino-compatible clones which are optimised for low power consumption and can run for months off a small battery if you sleep them for most of the time. The main disadvantage of the standard nRF24L01+ transceivers is the limited range - typically only a few meters - although you can get amplified versions which are good for much greater range if you don't mind the power consumption going up accordingly.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock