External antenna

petur

External antenna

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 am

I see the board (+ dock) doesn't match the pictures that I was seeing on the site, most importantly the antenna connector.

Did the design switch to antenna on the PCB and conector removed?

Vonger

Re: External antenna

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am

Ye, the connector is removed.

Ripple

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey,

Back in the indiegogo campaing I requested that another version of the board be made available that has a u.fl connector instead of the ceramic antenna. Do you have any plans to add such a board to the list? I'd really like to use an external antenna for WiFi, but my soldering skills suck.

Regards!

Ripple

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:59 pm

*bump*

Vonger any updates on this? Do you plan to offer boards with iPEX/u.fl wifi connectors instead of the ceramic antenna anytime soon?

Peter H

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm

I don't know what Vonger's intentions are, but if you know what connector you want I suppose it would be easy enough to unsolder the surface mounted antenna and attach your connector instead. (You would need to figure out some way to physically mount the connector, or strain relieve the cables if it is to be mounted remotely.

Ripple

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:54 pm

It would seem that he has no intention to release/sell this second board design, although the board was originally supposed to have a u.fl connector back in the indiegogo campaing. This is a part of the reason I pledged for 5 VoCore boards. Now it looks like I'll have to do manual soldering instead, and I'll probably skip the connector and just go for a coax cable.

loindoin

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 am

Peter H wrote:... I suppose it would be easy enough to unsolder the surface mounted antenna and attach your connector instead. ...

Technically, would this be all that is required to swap install the u.Fl connector on the board? I'm not a electronics person enough to know how this would work, but am happy to solder a u.Fl connector to the board.

IF this could be confirmed then i'll be placing an order for some of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-IPX-U-FL-RF-Coaxial-Connector-SMD-SMT-solder-PCB-Mount-Socket-Jack-Female-/131000520444 to solder on.

Vonger

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi, let me explain why I remove that slot.
1. the slot effect the antenna clear zone, it also effect impedance.
2. point 1 part is solved in that 0.5 version, but I have to use a 0ohm(0402) resistor as switch. Users have to manual solder that 0ohm switch if they want to use ul.f. that is much harder than solder an antenna.

In fact, there is a prefect way to make both on board antenna and ul.f work, but VoCore do not have space for that. :)
So for the best balance, have to remove that ul.f and use an alter way to add ul.f slot.

This blog might help: http://vonger.cn/?p=1483

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock