Serial connection help.

ddemarco5

Serial connection help.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm

I, like a fool, decided to change the networking config files, causing me to be unable to connect via wifi or Ethernet to fix the settings, leaving serial the only option.

However, I cannot for the life of me get anything reasonable to show on serial. The best I've gotten is some dmesg info, but even that I can't seem to replicate.

If anyone has any advice to offer on this it would be welcome. I'm using the usb2ttl adapter that comes with the kit, and I'm attempting a serial connection on windows.

Thanks!

Pyrofer

Re: Serial connection help.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 am

It should be a simple matter of connecting TX/RX and power!

Are you using the right baud rate?

I would suggest if you are having trouble to power up the VoCore from a real 5V supply and then connect only ground and tx/rx to the USB2TTL board. I also had problems if tx/rx were connected on power up. Try leaving just the ground connected then after few seconds attach the rx/tx pins.
You should see loads of stuff scrolling by as it boots. just mash enter to get a login.

ddemarco5

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks for the respond! I figured it out, it was a spurious connection issue with the USB ports I was using. Go figure....

At least I've got a nice solid serial connection now that I've figured it out! Now I'm just trying to think of a fun project to do with this thing :P

Fucitol

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 pm

I had a somewhat similar experience trying to uhm... change the uhm MAC-address to mimic an existing NIC on a MAC-restricted network...

Now at home it still works as a pass-through; when connected using UTP the Vocore WiFi network is available and I can use internet. However I am unable to connect as the device doesn't expose an IP-address.

Please bare in mind that I supported this project out of interest and a vague goal if I can get the hang of it so I am in no way an network or electronics expert. However with some instructions I can manage.

Summarized:
- Using VoCore + Dock
- No UTP connected: I get a self-assigned IP address when trying to connect to the VoCore WiFi
- UTP connected to the router: can connect through the VoCore WiFi to internet

How can I reset the MAC-address? (I have it stored)

Vonger

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 am

Fucitol wrote:I had a somewhat similar experience trying to uhm... change the uhm MAC-address to mimic an existing NIC on a MAC-restricted network...

Now at home it still works as a pass-through; when connected using UTP the Vocore WiFi network is available and I can use internet. However I am unable to connect as the device doesn't expose an IP-address.

Please bare in mind that I supported this project out of interest and a vague goal if I can get the hang of it so I am in no way an network or electronics expert. However with some instructions I can manage.

Summarized:
- Using VoCore + Dock
- No UTP connected: I get a self-assigned IP address when trying to connect to the VoCore WiFi
- UTP connected to the router: can connect through the VoCore WiFi to internet

How can I reset the MAC-address? (I have it stored)

MAC address can be restored, you can use this small app. http://vonger.cn/upload/mtd2c.c
mtd2c [your id] > mtd2.bin
then upload mtd2.bin, call
mtd -e factory write mtd2.bin factory
to cover the factory setting, you can get your mac back, but that is static factory setting, its performance might not as good as the original one.

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock