Ultimate NOOB Guide

Greenwire-Elektronik

Re: Ultimate NOOB Guide

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:41 pm

If i have some spare time i will help the wiki to grow. Meanwhile i have to get rid of a thought long enough running through my brain:

I am very disappointed from Vonger. He earned 116000$ with his campagne and i am quite sure that not everything was needed for development (i am a hardware developer myself) - and this is fairly ok. But the after-launch support is quite bad. This wiki would be something he should provide, the sources for uboot were lost and he is not in the mood to recreate them. Instead he is looking at cameras and stuff - a solution for the very poor WLAN performance would be way more important. But it seems to be more exiting to develop the next thing which comes to his favour.

For the poor WLAN performance i have at least an idea - i will update what i found if i double-checked my results and a possible workaround.
For the cooling problem i will have a look into it.
Buy now - breakout board for VoCore to easy adapting your idea!

Follow us on Twitter or facebook!

Ruphobia

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:24 pm

I'm confused; There's source for uboot here: http://vocore.io/wiki/index/id:11

please explain.

Thanks

Greenwire-Elektronik

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Ruphobia wrote:I'm confused; There's source for uboot here: http://vocore.io/wiki/index/id:11

please explain.

Thanks

Vonger himself wrote several times here that the actual sources to the used uboot were accidently deleted, i assume those are not the actual ones.

Example: http://forum.vocore.io/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85&p=250&hilit=uboot&sid=33157c54d049466b3babf8bb890ce46f&sid=33157c54d049466b3babf8bb890ce46f#p250

Ruphobia

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:14 pm

:cry: That's most unfortunate; I guess I can use this as a classic example of why you should always check in your code to git or sourceforge or whatever even if it's a work in progress. I'm guessing it would take hours and hours of digging through the datasheet (if you can even get it) to recreate the work :(

Greenwire-Elektronik

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Ruphobia wrote::cry: That's most unfortunate; I guess I can use this as a classic example of why you should always check in your code to git or sourceforge or whatever even if it's a work in progress. I'm guessing it would take hours and hours of digging through the datasheet (if you can even get it) to recreate the work :(

Yes, it will take us a lot more than it would take him, he at least should have debugging capabilities and stuff - i hope u see my point ...

noblepepper

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I am happy to deal with administering a wiki, I would rather Vonger spend his time on other things, some of which Greenwire-Elektronik mentioned.

I have also not gotten all the support I would like, especially when I couldn't see my uboot output on the UART. Once I found my bad solder joint I got over it. Overall I have invested $65 (one VoCore, one Vocore + Dock) and feel I have gotten my money's worth.

Vonger did get a lot in receipts but he certainly has a lot in costs as well. By the original indiegogo estimates engineering was 20% and some of that was probably not going in Vonger's pocket. While $24000 is a good chunk of money I would hate to live on it for the amount of time Vonger has worked on the VoCore.

In any case, this is a open source project everyone needs to scratch their own itch, the VoCore is a nice back scratcher for me!

Endat

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:43 am

I make commercial software indeprendently in my spare time, and my sales are nowhere near VoCore. Not even 5 figure. But I can relate to the difficulty of losing source code (one time by theft when someone broke into my car and stole my backup HDD among other junk) and one time when I used the dd command after 3 days without sleep.

It is very difficult to re-create something that was once original. However, I imagine if I had as much as 6 figures as a result of my work, I would be obliged to re-create whatever was needed. That being said, the VoCore seems to work decently out of the box.. I've ordered like 3 and 1 with a dock. Still easier to deal with than the crap Intel has produced with the Edison.. And the Electric Imp is practically useless.

I've tried many, and I love the VoCore.. but you have to remember, it's just one guy.. in my case with software, it can take like 6 months to 2 years to produce even 1 update because I also have to make a living doing embedded systems development.

Greenwire-Elektronik

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 am

As i said - i am developing complex hardware as my day-time job - so i have a good clue what for a work it is. If i read the indiegogo page right it was a team of three working on that. What i am missing is the clear lack of support - a good commnutiy is not the answer for everything.
The new dock he wanted to make - no time line.
Organizing this forum for a better overview - no single line from him.
Looking into the massiv problems with WLAN putthrough - nothing except 'there might be a bug'
Tons problems with PWM - nothing

I could advance this list - for me at least a proper community work and help is important and a duty.
And the amount of time some reprogramming will take - he should have a propper jtag-debugger and more information - what brings me to the next point -> for proper help from the community regarding system-close software, a recent documentation would be needed.

Ruphobia

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:32 pm

I think you're being too harsh. If I was to build something like this for fun as he probably did; I wouldn't even bother taking the time to create any of the web pages or even tell anyone about it and just use it for personal fun. I think as the community grows, we can take on some of the drudgery and allow him to concentrate on what he considers fun about this project. Regardless of anything else, he has done 2 very important things:

1) Some how managed to get his hands on a consumer grade component (RT5350)
2) Soldered the BGA package (RT5350) on a board.

At any rate; I think between the posters on this forum we can sort out the missing uboot code and various other issues in time.

Thanks

Endat

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

I agree with Greenwire.. I do seem to remember mention a while back about a breakout board, but it never happened.. meanwhile Greenwire designed and built one in no time (probably sick of waiting for the one that was promised). Also, I have seen mention of a firmware update that is needed to be installed (the uboot maybe?), but I did not find a download for this anywhere.

I do not need a camera module, but I would like the source for the vohttpd Vonger started working on. I have over a decade of experience in the area where he had trouble, I could contribute a lot to the source.

But meh, until I learn enough to design my own hardware I am stuck with what is for sale. My ideal SOM would use a small SOC (Broadcom BCM2835 or similar) and the Venus838 GPS chip https://www.tindie.com/products/smokingresistor/venus838flpx-l-gps-module/ along with some sensors and a GPRS/GSM chip. It would make an excellent weather balloon or remote controlled car/boat, etc. etc.. but meh, you know.. meh.

PreviousNext
Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock