VoCore as a Ethernet->Wifi Bridge?

eldaria

VoCore as a Ethernet->Wifi Bridge?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:17 pm

Ok I know this might be overkill for such a device but since the VoCore is so small I was wondering if this is even possible?
I have a VoCore with dock, and I have a Radiation Monitor from http://www.uradmonitor.com that is to be placed outside and can only use Ethernet.
I don't really have any possibility to get an Ethernet cable to it, so I was wondering if I can use the VoCore as a Ethernet to Wifi bridge?

I live in Sweden, so I'm also wondering how well does the Vocore handle tempearture fluctuations that an outside environment would have?

Vonger

Re: VoCore as a Ethernet->Wifi Bridge?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:31 am

It is no problem to use it as a bridge. I doubt if it works outside. Some people do webcam said it is ok to work outside, but from data sheet the chip work stable between 0C~70C.

Greenwire-Elektronik

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:03 am

Bridging is no problem - i use i a docked VoCore to connect to my other VoCores without dock from my LAN-Based PC.

I have to disagree with Vonger - Operating Conditions according to the datasheet are -10-55° C.

What is the background of the operating temperature range?
It describes the range of ensured functionality of the chip. Normally, a lower temperature means that the integrated clocks might not run properly or something else will not work. So you should ensure having these conditions.

First of all you will need a proper case. You live in Sweden, so i would imply you need a heating holding the temperature on -10°C at least for starting - if the system is running stable, it typically survives lower temperatures.
Buy now - breakout board for VoCore to easy adapting your idea!

Follow us on Twitter or facebook!

eldaria

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:42 am

Well this winter we did not really go below -10, but it for sure would some years go way below that. -20 is not unusual.
The VoCore does generate quite some heat on it's own so perhaps a well insulated box would be enough to keep the temperature up, the problem with that would be Summer when we get up to +30 so would also have to install some fan to ventilate in summer. ;-)
With a tight box I might also need an External Antenna, but I think I have one lying around since I had a FON router with extra antenna.

Will try and see if I can figure out how to set it as a Bridge, by default it seems to set up as a Wireless router, so the Ethernet port is requesting a IP from a DHCP and then providing routed connectivity to the Wirless clients. I would need the reverse or even without routing. Preferably it should be a straight bridge and the Ethernet port should provide an IP from the main network that the Wireless connects to.

Vonger

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 am

do not need a fan, but a heat sink is necessary :)

Greenwire-Elektronik

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:37 am

If you start with an insulated box out of styrofoam you might achieve what you want without losing much of the WLAN signal strength. During Summer you will need more than a heat sink - reports here in the forum show that the vocore is really heating even in lab conditions - in an insulated box (you could probably paint the box black, it helps with heat dissipation) with the sun shinning on it and higher ambient temperature i would not count on the heat sink alone.
Buy now - breakout board for VoCore to easy adapting your idea!

Follow us on Twitter or facebook!

Return to VoCore & VoCore+Dock